I kinda wanna play as myself as a kid now in an RPG. (Just like, not as personally intense and upsetting as last night’s was, or as gory and horrific.)
I realized that my stats woulda been really weird compared to who I am now.
Like, in middle school:
- I lived in the deep woods (ranger/druid)
- I regularly went hiking up mountains for classes (ranger/druid, athletics bonus)
- I was fresh off several years of summer camps where I learned all kinds of outdoor skills (survival bonus)
- I routinely harvested and planted in big gardens for farmstands (nature bonus, identify plants)
- I was a massive nerd who read all the time, had a giant stack of books by my bed always, and lugged books with me everywhere (intelligence)
- I was pretty shy, and didn’t have many close friends (low charisma)
- I had an amazing memory and remembered like, dozens and dozens of elaborate camp songs, and Shakespeare text, no fear in performing (bard/high intelligence)
- I carried wooden stakes in my backpack (wooden stakes, 1d4 piercing)
- All my classmates carried knives (simple weapons proficiency)
- I climbed trees and ate my lunch up there, with a bunch of other kids at my school, this was normal (druid/ranger, athletics bonus)
I’d have been a Druid or a Ranger if we’re using D&D terms, or maybe a Bard if I’d followed that performative streak. I was a mostly shy nerd who wanted to stay the fuck inside and read but kept getting dragged out up mountains and into the woods by my teachers, who learned I would complain, a lot, about this whole process.